Share | Print

Frequently Asked Questions

I think that I am going to get a scholarship. Will that affect my aid?

We are required to account for any scholarships you may receive as part of your total financial aid, and occasionally, this does change your Federal or State aid. Whenever possible, we would reduce or remove your LOAN eligibility so that your scholarship can be accounted for. This is GOOD for you as it will keep your loan indebtedness down.

The company I work for reimburses me for tuition, but it is dependent on my grades. Will late fees be applied to my account if I wait to pay until they have reimbursed me?

Yes, unless tuition is paid on time late fees and interest are assessed on student's accounts.

What type of activities are on campus?

UW-Parkside has many activates and organization for students to participate in.  There are approximately 80 student groups or organizations that range from academic and professional clubs to interest and religious groups.  UW-Parkside is known for its vibrant Fine Arts experiences in Theatre, Music and Art.  UW-Parkside also offers a number of different athletic opportunities including intramurals and division II athletics.

What are the housing and dining options?

UW-Parkside offers three different kinds of living environments for on campus residents, including a traditional-style residence hall (Ranger Hall), apartment-style (University Apartments), and suite-style (Park River Suites) living accommodations. There are also multiple dining options available on campus. Dining plans are available for campus residents as well as commuters can be purchased online.

How long will it take to receive my financial aid?

The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid typically receives confirmation that a FAFSA has been completed within 1 week of the date the student applied. For financial aid to process the information, the student MUST be admitted to the University. If the student is admitted, he or she will be notified within a few weeks of either their financial aid eligibility, or any additional documentation financial aid may require.

My parents aren't helping me at all with school. How can I file as an independent student?

The way you respond to questions on the FAFSA will determine if you are considered a "dependent" or "independent" student. A parent's unwillingness or inability to assist in paying for school does NOT make a student independent, and their information may still need to be included on the application.  Dependency status CAN be overridden, but is reserved for VERY extreme circumstances. You must discuss this with a Financial Aid Counselor, and will be required to provide documentation of your situation.

I'm dependent and my parents are divorced. Whose information goes in the parent section of the FAFSA form?

When completing the FAFSA, you should provide parental information for the parent that is providing more support for you. This typically means whoever you live with the majority of the time. If that parent has remarried, their spouse must ALSO be included on the FAFSA.

What are the hours for the Financial Aid Office?

Monday and Thursday the Financial Aid Office is open from 7:45 am to 6:00 pm.  Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday the office is open from 7:45 am to 4:30 pm.  These hours are subject to change during summer, winterim, semester breaks, and holidays.  

How do I pay for college?

We offer an excellent education at an affordable price. To be considered for financial assistance, complete the FREE Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). We strongly encourage you to apply by March 15. Be sure to use UW-Parkside's financial aid code (005015) on the application. Parkside is super affordable. However, if money's kind of tight you can apply for financial aid by completing a FAFSA application online. Don't wait too long to do it, or the funds will run out!

I want to find a job to help pay for my education. Can you help me?

The best place to begin your search is the UW-Parkside Career Center. There are regular student and Federal Work Study employment opportunities available. You should confirm with the Financial Aid office to determine if you qualify before applying for a Federal Work Study position.

If I enroll as a special/non-degree student can I still get financial aid?

You may qualify for aid depending on your intentions with your enrollment. We encourage you to call or stop in the Financial Aid office to talk about options as certain programs have restrictions on eligibility or have limited resources available.  262-595-2574 or

I want to attend school for winterim and summer. Will I still get aid?

Financial Aid is awarded based on fall and spring being the academic year. Aid for winterim and summer then is limited, and would be based on what was not needed or used during fall and spring. If you know you will need to attend one of those two sessions, it is best to talk with a Financial Aid counselor as soon as you know if you plan to enroll in a winterim or summer course to determine your best options moving forward.

How will my Veterans benefits affect my aid?

Federal Veteran's benefits are not factored in to your eligibility from Financial Aid, but if you qualify for Wisconsin Veteran's benefits, we must include it as aid received.

How do I contact the Financial Aid Office?

You can contact Financial Aid by calling them at 262-595-2574 or by email at

I can only attend UW-Parkside part-time. Can I still get financial aid?

For most Financial Aid programs, you must be taking at least 6 credits (undergrad) or 4 credits (graduate), which is considered part time to qualify for financial aid.

What are the admission course requirements for new freshmen?

Academic Subjects and Units
English/Speech-- 4 units
Mathematics-- 3 units (must include algebra, geometry, and algebra 2 or a higher equivalent to algebra 2)
Natural Science-- 3 units (including one lab science)
Social Science-- 3 units
Additional Electives-- 4 units (foreign language and/or fine arts and 
computer science as well as units that are part of the core course selection but more than the required number of units in each category)

What do I do if something changes after I file my FAFSA?

If something has changed for you after you submitted the FAFSA, please speak with our Financial Aid office about your situation. Examples of changes in circumstances are loss of income, unusually high medical bills, loss of social security benefits, death or divorce in family, etc.

Will I get my financial aid award before school starts?

Financial Aid is applied towards your bill approximately 10 days prior to the first day of classes. If your financial aid award is more than your fees, you may qualify for a "refund" of those excess funds. Refunding occurs once your charges have been completely covered, and is typically done the week before classes begin.

What does it mean if my FAFSA file has been selected for verification?

The U.S. Department of Education selects 1 in 3 students at random and requires our Financial Aid office to verify that the information on the FAFSA is accurate.  This does not mean that you completed the FAFSA incorrect, but instead the system of checks and balances put in place by the Department of Education.

How do I apply?

Fill out the online application at There is also a non-refundable application fee, to apply for a possible waiver contact the Admissions Office 262-595-2355 or Then send your high school transcripts as well as any transcripts from any college course(s) you may have taken. If you are under the age of 21 or have less than 24 credits please submit your ACT or SAT scores. If you have taken any AP/IB/CLEP tests please submit those scores as well. All transcripts and test scores should be sent to:
Office of Admissions
900 Wood Road PO Box 2000
Kenosha WI 53141

Where is the Financial Aid Office located?

The Financial Aid Office is located in Wyllie D191.

I took placement tests at another school. Can they be used at UW-Parkside?

If you tested at any other school other than a University of Wisconsin System school, or if your ACT/SAT scores are older than three years, you will need to take the Wisconsin Placement Test.

What if I still have more admissions questions?

Please contact the admissions office at 262-595-2355 or by email at to set up an admissions appointment or to talk with an admissions counselor.

My ACT/SAT scores are older than 3 years. What should I do?

You will need to take the Wisconsin Placement Test.

How do I log into my SOLAR account?

You can log into SOLAR from the UW-Parkside website with your net id and password.

How do I pay the application fee?

The online application provides you the option to pay the fee online at the completion of the application.  You can also mail the Office of Admissions a check or money order, but make sure to place the student's name and birthdate in the memo area.  The Office of Admissions address is: 900 Wood Road, PO Box 2000 Kenosha, WI 53141.  Lastly, you can also drop off a check, cash, or money order to the Office of Admissions.  

How much is the application fee?

The application fee is $44.

Do I have to take the Wisconsin Placement Test?

Not necessarily. Students are initially placed into English and Math course levels by their ACT or SAT scores if they are available. The Admissions Office can tell you if you need to take the Wisconsin Placement Test. Students wishing to establish placement beyond entry level courses in Modern Languages should take the placement test.

My parents aren't helping me at all with school. How can I file as an independent student?

The way you respond to questions on the FAFSA will determine if you are considered a "dependent" or "independent" student. A parent's unwillingness or inability to assist in paying for school does NOT make a student independent, and their information may still need to be included on the application.  Dependency status CAN be overridden, but is reserved for VERY extreme circumstances. You must discuss this with a Financial Aid Counselor, and will be required to provide documentation of your situation.

What majors does UW-Parkside offer?

UW-Parkside has over 35 majors, 40 minors, and a number of certificates.  Some of our more popular programs included Applied Health Science/Biological Sciences, Business Management, Criminal Justice, Communication, and Educator Development.  Some of our distinctive programs include Sport Management, Digital and Studio Art, Theatre and Music. 

Is there a study abroad program available at UW-Parkside?

Yes UW-Parkside does offer a number of study abroad options, you can find all of the information online.

Can I take a placement test to "place out of" a course?

Placement tests are used to determine what Math, English, and or Foreign Language course a student should enroll in.  Placement tests cannot be used in an effort to gain college credit for a course.  If you have taken or are currently enrolled in any of the following courses or their equivalents, then you will NOT be permitted to take the placement exam for that subject. 

*Math:  010, 015, 102, 111, 112, 113, 114, 221
*English:  090, 100, 101
*Reading:  083, 085
*Spanish:  103, 104, 203, 204, 303
*French:  103, 104, 203, 204, 301
*German:  103, 104, 203, 204, 305 

*Please note the most recent placement test scores stand regardless of previous placement exam, ACT, or SAT scores.  Be aware that you may place into a course lower than your current placement.

What Math/English/Modern Language course did I place into?

You can see the Math and English course you placed into by using your ACT/SAT or Wisconsin Placement test scores by using the Conversion Chart

Is there a fee for the Wisconsin Placement Test?

No, there is no fee to take the Wisconsin Placement Test. 

Can I retake the placement test? I don't think I was placed into the correct level. What can I do?

You can retake the test, but the most recent results stand. If you place into a lower course level, that will then be the course you must take. You may retake the placement test only once. Placement test retakes must be completed prior to the start of classes. Our experience is that students who attempt a retest place into the same level as the prior placement.

What is SOLAR?

SOLAR is the name for UW-P's Student Information System.  The system provides students with access to information related to admissions, records and registration, financial aid, and student financials.

I can't come for placement testing at the scheduled testing times. What should I do?

The dates and times provided offer multiple opportunities for coming to take placement tests. You must take the Wisconsin Placement Test during scheduled testing times.

Where do I find information on the Youth Options Program?

Youth Options information can be found within the admissions web page.  In general, the Youth Options program is a program designed for high school juniors and seniors to dually enroll in high school and college courses in an effort to explore future major(s) or career ideas.  To be accepted into the program a student must be in the top 25% of their graduating class, they also must submit a UW-Parkside application, DPI paperwork, and Official High School transcripts turned into you High School counselor by March 1st for fall registration and by October 1st for spring registration. 

What is DARS?

DARS is an acronym for a program called the Degree Audit Reporting System. The DARS report shows how UW-Parkside courses, transfer courses, and courses in progress apply toward degree requirements and degree completion. 

How do I pay the enrollment deposit?

You can pay the $100 enrollment deposit by logging on to your SOLAR account and looking in the Finances section.  You can also bring cash or check to the Cashier's Office located in Wyllie D193.

How much is the enrollment deposit?

The enrollment deposit is $100.

Is there an application fee waiver?

Yes, you can obtain one online or by contacting the Office of Admissions at 262-595-2355.

What are the admissions requirements for transfer students?

Transfer students must have a 2.0 GPA or better from any accredited institution.

How do I sign up for orientation?

Registration information will be both emailed and mailed to all required attendees. Registration can be completed online or by calling 262-595-2721.

Is there any way I can review for the Wisconsin Placement Test? What's on the Placement Test?

The placement testing webpage has a link to the Wisconsin System Placement Testing website that gives additional information about the placement test content. The link is:

How do I sign up for a campus visit?

To sign up for a campus visit please visit the admissions website and signup online or contact the admissions office at 262-595-2355 or

How do I request information about UW-Parkside?

Requesting information is easy. Visit the UW-Parkside homepage and click the" Experience UW-P" button, then click the "Request Information" link at the bottom of the page. Fill out the required information and click submit.

Where the Office of Admissions and New Student Services located?

The Office of Admissions is located in the Student Center D105.

What is CTS?

Campus Technology Services (CTS) manages campus technology. Contact the CTS Help Desk at 262-595-2444 with any campus technology problems you might be experiencing.

What do I do if I lose my SOLAR account information?

If you lose your campus username or password you should call the CTS Help Desk representative by calling 262-595-2444.

How do I register for Classes through SOLAR?

Once logged into SOLAR, click on the 'enrollment' link on the side panel, and from there click the 'enrollment: add classes' link which will take you to a page where you can search for the classes you need.  It's simple. Just go into enrollment: add classes, search for classes by major, and pick your class from the huge list of available classes. SOLAR will provide information on the class requirements, the professor, times, and the number of credits the class is worth.

How do I log into D2L?

Students can log into D2L using the same net ID and password used for SOLAR and Rangermail.

What is D2L?

D2L (Desire 2 Learn) is an online service which allows students to interact, turn in work, take tests and quizzes, or even download important documents for class.

What is Rangermail?

Rangermail is the official student email service. This is where students will receive important information from campus, their professors, and even other students pertaining to UW-Parkside.

Where are the computer labs located?

For students, the main computer lab is located in Wyllie Hall; however we also have computer labs in the library, the Sports and Activity Center, and in each of the residence halls.  There are also laptop printing stations located throughout campus for easy printing access.  

Do all Parkside classes require D2L?

No. Use of D2L is at the discretion of the professor, and therefore decided on a class by class basis.  Some professors do; some don't. Some use it only for grading purposes, and others require much more. It all depends on your instructor.

Are the computer labs free to use?

The computer labs are free for students. However, there is a $0.06 per page printing fee.

I have an outstanding tuition balance. Will I be able to register for the next semester?

No, all previous balances must be paid in full before you can register for another semester.

I made changes on my student account, why did I not receive a new billing statement?

Billing statements are sent to students at the beginning of the semester. The tuition and fees in that statement reflect the tuition amount for the number of credits that the student is ENROLLED in.  If a student makes changes to their schedule or is added into a class in which they were on a waiting list for they can check their account in the solar system, call 262-595-2258 or stop by the cashier's office.

Will I get a receipt for my payment processed at the cashier's office?

You will only receive a receipt if you make the payment in person at the cashier's office.  If you mail a payment and would like a receipt you can email ( or call (262-595-2258) the cashier's office to request a receipt.

The company I work for will pay UW-Parkside directly for my tuition. What is the procedure I need to follow?

Submit any paperwork from your company to the cashier's office.  The paperwork must be received in the cashier's office by the tuition due date to avoid late fees and interest.  If you have any questions ask to speak to the person that handles the third party billing in the cashier's office.  262-595-2258 or

Can I pay my tuition and fees with a credit or debit card?

You can pay online in the SOLAR system with either a credit or debit card. There is a percentage based convenience fee when choosing this option.  You can also pay by e-check online and there is a flat fee when choosing this option.  The cashiers' office does NOT process credit or debit cards either in the office or over the phone.

Does the University offer any Payment Plans?

Monthly payment plan options have been outsourced to Tuition Management Systems. Please visit their website: or call 1-800-356-8329 to obtain payment plan information.

Who do I contact if I think there is an error on my billing statement?

Contact the cashier's office by phone (262-595-2258), email ( or in person at Wyllie Hall D193.

How do I receive financial aid?

To apply for financial aid, you must fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This can be done online by going to Be sure to add UW-Parkside's school code which is 005015

Is it worth filling out the FAFSA?

It is ALWAYS worth your time to complete the FAFSA! Financial Aid eligibility is based on more than just income, and every student will qualify for at the very least loans.

Do I need to file my taxes before I apply for financial aid?

The FAFSA is easier to complete if your taxes have been filed, but you can complete the form initially using estimated information and update the FAFSA once your taxes have been filed.

Are parents required to attend orientation?

No, parents are not required to attend orientation, but are encouraged to attend. Parents and guests will have their own agenda for the day and participate in separate sessions than the students.

When is Orientation?

Sessions for fall will begin in June and will continue throughout the summer. Sessions for spring will begin in December and continue until the spring semester begins.  For more information please visit the First Year Experience website.

What happens if I attend an orientation session but withdraw from UW-Parkside before the start of the term?

If you attend a session, you will still be financially responsible for the cost of the orientation.  You also must drop all of your course through your SOLAR account before the 10th day of the semester or you may be assessed additional charges.  If you drop your courses on or before the 10th day of the semester you will not be charged tuition.

What happens during orientation?

There will be sessions where you will talk with current students, faculty and staff about academic and social aspects of the campus. You will also get your Ranger Card picture taken. You will also meet with advisors in an effort to establish your course schedule.  Lunch is provided.

Do I need to bring anything to orientation?

Please bring your net ID and password, pencil or pen and paper.

When do I register for classes?

For first year students, students will register at Orientation after meeting with an academic advisor.  For current students see your SOLAR account for specific registration dates.  You may need to set up an appointment with your advisor before you are able to register for courses for the upcoming semester.

Does it matter which orientation session I attend?

Earlier is always better. As the summer progresses and more new students register, the class selection does become limited. You will get classes that you need, but you may not get your first choices!

Where do I park for orientation?

Park in Lot A (Student Center Parking Lot) in any of the unmarked spaces. Do not park in metered, handicapped or reserved spaces. You will not need a permit during an orientation session.

What if I can't attend an orientation session?

All new students are expected to attend an orientation session. If you choose not to attend you will need to make alternate arrangements with the Advising and Career Center at 262-595-2040. Please note that you will not be able to register until AFTER the completion of all of the regularly scheduled orientation sessions. This means that class availability will not be as favorable as if you attend a session. Since orientation is mandatory, the fee is still assessed. There are no refunds.

Where can I find an academic calendar?

The academic calendar can be found online.

Where do I find information on dropping a class?

Information on dropping classes can be found online.

How do I request degree and enrollment verification?

Please contact the registrar's office at 262-595-2284 and request information on the Enrollment Request form.

What are the hours for the Registrar's office?

The registrar's office is normally open from 8 am to 4:30 pm

Where can I order a transcript?

For current students: Log into your SOLAR and request a transcript by selecting the "order official transcript" link. If you do not have your login information for SOLAR, then you can request a transcript through the Registrar's website or in person at the Registrar's office located in Wyllie Hall D187.

Where can I find the University catalog?

The catalog can be found online.

Where can I find information on what courses are offered during my selected term?

Course schedules can be found online.

Where do I find important dates and deadlines for the academic calendar?

That information can be found online on the UW-Parkside website. *Note: Dates may be subject to change, please check the course schedule to verify.

900 Wood Road · P.O. Box 2000 · Kenosha, WI 53141-2000 P 262-595-2345

Who Are You?

Tell Us